Currently, I am working on several projects and papers related to early childhood education and development.
- The STREAM: Integrated, Intentional, Interactions (STREAMin3) is a comprehensive curriculum model for early childhood settings serving children birth to five. The curriculum model focuses on the development of five core skills (Relate, Regulate, Think, Communicate, Move) that form the building blocks for later learning and six STREAM skills (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Art, Math) to prepare children for kindergarten. The model includes a variety of activities and routines, coaching, assessments, and professional development for teachers of children from birth to age five.
Learning to Objectively Observe Kids (LOOK)
- Learning to Objectively Observe Kids (LOOK) is a model of early childhood mental health consultation. LOOK uses individualized teacher consultation to improve teachers’ capacity to understand children’s behavior in the classroom. LOOK consultants support teachers’ use of simple and effective strategies to improve children’s classroom engagement, self-regulation, behavior, and social skills. Strategies include modifying transitions and routines, building relationships, offering choice, and using cues and visuals.
Papers in Preparation
- Pokorski, E.A., Clayback, K.A., & Prijoles, A.A., (under review). Behavior Management Practices in Early Childhood Education Settings in Virginia.
- Clayback, K.A., & Williford, A.P. (under review). Teacher and Classroom Predictors of Early Childhood Educator Stress.
- Clayback, K.A., Williford, A.P., & Vitiello, V. E. (under review). Identifying Teacher Beliefs and Experiences Associated with Curriculum Implementation.
- Clayback, K.A., & Hemmeter, M.L.(in progress).Associations Among Teacher Psychological Distress and Specific Behavior Management Strategies in Preschool Classrooms. Manuscript in preparation – analyses complete.
- Clayback, K.A., Vitiello, V. E., & Williford, A.P. (in progress). “I just want to teach the way I know how to teach”: Differences in Early Childhood Educator Experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic. Manuscript in preparation.
- Clayback, K. A., Wang, H.W., Hemmeter, M. L., & Barton, E. (in progress). Examining the Quality of Behavior Policies in Early Childhood Education Settings. Manuscript in preparation.